Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fathers

Family is important.  I'm grateful that I grew up in a 2-parent household and that I knew who my father was.  Nowadays it seems like more and more relationships are ending in divorce or kids are being raised my mom's who don't know who the dad's are or the dad's show no real interest in being fathers.  Whatever the situation it is important to be thankful for what you have and who you have in your life.  My father died within 2 weeks of my son's 8th birthday.  I know this was a major life event for my son because he and my dad had a close relationship and my dad depended on Jalen as much as Jalen depended on him.  My father's health had been failing for a couple of years and our family had this joke that when Jalen was at home with my dad he was actually taking care of him rather than my dad babysitting for me.  At that point in my life my dad was the male role model in Jalen's life because Jalen's father wasn't around like he should have been.  My dad taught Jalen how to play chess, how to scramble eggs, how to scare his mimi, how to move furniture, etc.  I met and married my husband in 2007 and it would have been great if my dad could have met the wonderful man who I'm spending the rest of my life with and who is helping me raise Jalen.  I know my dad would have definitely approved of DaRell being part of the family.

My dad's birthday is on October 30th and if he were alive he would be turning 65, I believe.  It's hard to believe he's been gone for over 5 years now.  My dad's wish for his children was that they graduated from college and 2 of his 3 kids have done that.  When he died I was attending OSU and I had so hoped he would live to see me graduate but that didn't happen.  I was grateful that he was able to see me receive a plaque and certificate for being on the Dean's Honor Roll when I attended Langston University.  Anyway, he died in February of 2005 and I didn't graduate until the summer of 2006. 

Life does go on and the neat thing is that after my dad died we found out that my sister was pregnant.  She gave birth to her beautiful son who I could give tons of kisses to until he gets sick of me but I can't help it because Tre is the best nephew in the whole wide world and next to my son he is the best.  Anyway, my sister gave birth to her son on my dad's birthday.  So even though we lost my dad and miss him everyday we now have a beautiful boy to love and share life with.

No comments:

Post a Comment